Saturday, August 28, 2010

Summertime and the Livin' Is Easy....

Another 2 weeks have flown by….and what have I been doing? Trying to keep myself & the child sane. Seriously, it’s summertime which can only mean one thing in my book: TRAVEL!

This past week, kiddo & I drove to the Finger Lakes in New York. Every year the Mother-in-Law spends two weeks at the lake with her best friend of 40+ years. They host a reunion party for their high school friends. They visit family. They cook. They read. They lounge. And for one of the weeks, they gave me a break, helped me with kiddo and provided him the opportunity to create happy childhood memories! His favorite memory of the lake is taking the paddleboat across the lake with Gamie. My favorite memory is him telling stories with his new friends (fellow 4 & 7 yr olds) around the campfire while we made s’mores. Of course, he doesn’t remember the temper tantrum when he couldn’t go on the lake because the water was too rough. Or his whining to go home after day 2. Or anything unpleasant. I remember that all vacations with child in tow always tend to be more work that I anticipate! But we did have fun, even if it was cold & rainy most of the days we were there. (I am a wannabe Southern gal at heart. Give me 90+ degree weather, frizzy hair, and I am happy.)

We returned just in time to visit with out-of-town friends and spent a lovely day on the National Mall. We started at the Museum of Natural History, took a ride on the Carousel, got balloons, popped balloons 10 minutes later, walked to the WWII Memorial, saw the preparations for the Glenn Beck “Restoring Honor” rally, and then called it a day.

With such good days as these, I will keep the grumbling about the move to a minimum. I am thankful to finally live in a place that people want to visit. I expect round 2 of visitors next month. Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment