Friday, July 31, 2015

Job Relocation: Life in Transition – from Texas to Alabama


Baby, it’s hot outside!

Let’s start with the HEAT.  It’s hot.  Sweltering.  The kind of heat which I equate to sweatiness behind the knees and constant dampness in the small of the back.

I always appreciate dark clouds gathering in the distance for a late afternoon shower respite.  And God bless the makers of A/C units, the legion of HVAC technicians, and electricity. 

It may be 98 degrees outside in both Texas and in Alabama, but I can feel the difference between the dry, baking heat of Texas and the sweat-drenched, humid heat of Alabama.

Attitude of Gratitude: We have access to the neighborhood pool.  Daily, if needed.

I am surviving.

3 days to Pack Up, 3 weeks to Unpack (if you’re really determined)

It’s the beginning of Week 4.  I’m still surrounded by boxes.  
  
One of the joys of moving is the realization that I am abundantly blessed with too much stuff, even after the pre-move and post-move purge.

Another joy is mastering the Art of the Unpack, which is a whole discussion in of itself.  While we are enjoying the same square footage of this home to our previous house, the floor layout is completely different.  4 bedroom, 2.5 baths with garage to 3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths with no garage.  We are a family that needs a place for the out-of-sight, out-of-mind boxes, at least temporarily. 


Attitude of Gratitude: Hubby and I are getting solid ideas, backed by empirical evidence, for our forever home.  Size matters, in regards to kitchen & closet size.  The rest of the house is negotiable.

Summer Time and the Livin’ is Easy.  Idyllic Living in the Deep South.



I am now ready to explore my temporary hometown.  We have a farmer’s market in our neighborhood!  For sight unseen (i.e. Internet-only pictures & an “It’s-only-a-year-I-can-deal” mentality), our rental house and neighborhood have turned out to be quite lovely.
My goal this week is to attempt Fried Green Tomatoes.  We are in the South, after all, y’all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment