Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Changes, Chaos & Sadness This Past Week

The changes to my schedule that I posted 2 weeks ago never came to fruition as sickness visited our household and caused an abrupt stop to all activities while the boy was on the mend. He had a rather nasty cold to include fever and a cough that took the full week to kick. No moral support adventures, no exploring of DC, no routine activities.

A Turn for the Worst….

And then Chaos was added to my week. My grandmother had been diagnosed with a terminal cancer (lymphoma) and was admitted into the hospital because she was experiencing extreme pain in her hip last week. Initially the doctors’ prognosis was weeks, possibly a month or two. So with that timeframe to work with, Hubby and I were trying to coordinate a visit. While I was waiting for my parents’ input, my Dad calls to inform me that my Grandmother’s condition had deteriorated rapidly overnight and that I needed to come ASAP.

I took that call around noon. I booked my tickets at 2:00. I was at the airport at 5:00, and in Nevada at midnight, straight to her hospital room. She was moved to hospice the next morning and passed away in the afternoon. Everything happened so suddenly. I am very sad. But I take comfort that she is no longer in pain and that she was surrounded by her family during her final days.

My grandmother was a loving woman and lived a beautiful life. She leaves behind 9 children, 25 grandchildren, 8 great grandchildren + counting. I will miss her dearly. I love you, Nanay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment