Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Rudolph Bit Off Santa’s Beard and Other Things We Tell Our Children….


This past weekend we took the kiddo to a breakfast with Santa, hosted by his church preschool that he attends. I had high hopes that we would score the perfect photo for our Christmas card and maybe snag a family photo, too.

This is what I got:

A BEARDLESS SANTA in jeans & cowboy boots!!

I don’t require perfection. I am all about flexibility. But come on, Santa needs to have a beard!

Mrs. Claus did have a quick recovery. She read a story to the children while Santa was tending the reindeer, and then she prepped the children about the beard situation. So her story is that Rudolph bit off part of Santa’s beard, although I’m not sure why – if he was hungry or ornery (I guess I should ask my child to clarify. He no doubt will know.). Santa didn’t want an uneven beard so he shaved it off. But he PROMISED that his beard would be full and bushy by Christmas. *Promise*

Does my kiddo look unconvinced? Skeptical? Hooked? I think a strong desire for toys outweighs any serious questions that he might have had. He dutifully stood in line and patiently waited his turn to talk with Santa. We “kind, flexible, roll-with-the-punches” parents discussed whether Santa might have been a tad more approachable for the wee ones without his beard. (Ha!) In the end, we got our little boy a picture with Santa, just not the picture perfect one I had hoped for. The kiddo though had a great time. And really what more should I ask for?!

Hmm…..although I do have to go to Plan B for the Christmas card photo.

Double hmm…..and I am still debating whether we should pursue another Santa photo. But what then will I tell my child when he sees a slightly different Santa? He did tell me he now knows what Santa looks and sounds like. Oh my, what’s my story now?!

Cheers!!


2 comments:

  1. That photo is hilarious! There must be a Bad Santa blog somewhere you can submit that to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOLOL! Can I use this photo in my annual Bad Santa post? I'll credit you!

    ReplyDelete