Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Friending Your Mom on Facebook is a BAD Idea When You are Talking About Tattoos


Yes, I am a Suburban Housewife who wants to get some ink.  It’s trendy. It makes me feel not quite so homely.  The tats are for me, my self-expression.  (Although I ain’t gonna lie, Hubby thinks it’s HOT.  And well, anything to keep the fires going is probably worth pursuing.)  So Hubby and I attended the DC Tattoo Convention this past weekend with the hopes of meeting some local artists and preview their portfolios. 
I returned home very excited about the prospect, thinking about the work I want done and what it symbolizes to me.  Of course, it’s not official until I post it on Facebook.  My post:
Sorry, Mom! But I'm one step closer to getting inked. Just got home from the DC Tattoo Convention. Butterflies, dragons, and a lil crab. ;)
I got a few likes and comments from my friends.  And then my Mom weighed in with
You are not JOLIE and ERIC is not PITT. KEEP YOUR SKIN FROM INTENTIONAL BLEMISH. WHY GO THROUGH THE PAIN. LOVE YOU MUCH. BE CLEAN...
I am nothing but amused.  And yes, she did write in ALL CAPS.  But it gets better.  My sister chimes in with
            LMAO! (at mom's comment) I'm next...Shhh! I'm thinking a sleeve..
Mom’s reply:
What does LMSO mean? just voicing my opinion. You are adults who decide what is best for you, whether I agree with you or not, you are in control. MY love is always with both of you.
Oy!
When I called home for my weekly check-in, I got an earful.  After her 20-minute tirade, she ended it with “But it’s your body.  You are old enough to do whatever you want.”  You think?! 
I got nothing but love for my mother.  But I am still building up my patience reserves for when she sees all the tats for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment