Tuesday, April 13, 2010

GIRLS NIGHT OUT: Retro 80s Stylin'!

Is Spoiled Wifey A Dancing Fool?

This past Saturday was Girls Night Out: 80s dress-up, dinner, drinks & dancing.

After 3 cosmos at the restaurant, I was already feeling like I ROCKED my 80s outfit. Oh yeah, I owned it. All the embarrassment of 80s dress-up with ridiculous hair was long gone. Now I dared my fellow bar patrons with my strut & attitude: “Why yes, I am wearing electric blue leggings. Look, Love & Covet, people!” Add Malibu rum (on the rocks!), and I apparently thought I belonged as the CENTER OF ATTENTION of an EMPTY dance floor, in front of the lead singer, getting my groove on, precariously clutching my precious dancing-inducing elixir.

My girlfriends were very kind to me.

They RESCUED me before I truly made a dancing fool of myself (perhaps already too late?). I know I am no dancing Elaine, thankfully. However, drunk Spoiled Wifey in 80s garb, dancing solo is probably not much better. The girlfriends closed ranks around me before I did anything truly regrettable. We had our instant dance party and a good time was had by all.

I am foolish about a lot of things. But dancing with my girlfriends, letting loose, and having a good time is not one of those times, or maybe I should say an appropriate time to be so. Girls Night Out are few and far between for our group of moms with preschoolers. How I will miss all these gal pals! We all relocate this summer and scatter to the four winds.

I am very grateful for the friendships I have made, given the short time we have been here, less than 10 months. I have learned to never underestimate how a gathering of friends can be so much fun (as it ought to be) but also life-affirming and empowering (hubby’s favorite word), even if we are wearing retro!

BTW, much thanks to my designated driver! You know who you are. 

P.S. I still had preschooler duty at 0730 on Sunday morning, thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment