Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Estrogen & Caffeine Pow Wow

I’m avoiding the soul searching. [Read previous post] Instead the past week I have been indulging in one of my favorite social activities: coffee with the ladies.

Now I don’t have a daily coffee break with the gals, although I think it would be warranted if I did. As a stay-at-home mama, social interaction requires effort. (Although thank god for Facebook! I feel less isolated and definitely more connected with the world with just a quick skim of status updates.) I still need face-to-face conversation with my “peers” outside the home. I compare it to an extended office coffee break, water cooler break or work lunch that my hubby enjoys on a regular basis with his workmates.

I’m going to say the word my hubby hates and thinks is terribly overused. I feel EMPOWERED with my coffee dates. I think it has to do with the concentration of estrogen that gives the caffeine we are drinking an extra kick. A chat with the ladies and suddenly I feel like I can do most anything. Tackle the never-ending to do list. Confront. Comfort. Support. Whine. Motivate.

The collective sharing of our lives gives each of us more depth and perspective. Here is a sample of our coffee chat from last week:

• husband gripes & kudos (Kudos to the hubby who single-handedly took care of his 18-month twins for 3 days while wifey was on a mini-vacation with other mamas. Yes, wifeys do this all the time without accolades but since it’s a departure from the norm for their household, we do give him props.

• our impending relocations and its associated to-do list (house-hunting, commuting considerations, school/day care, jobs/career options)

• our preschool boys’ love of the word poop

• after patiently waiting for 5 years, the impending adoption of a beautiful little girl from China and how life will change (i.e. they will finally buy a microwave! What parents can survive without a microwave?!)

• pilfering through a Mary Kay makeup stash of a consultant getting out of the business

• allergy symptoms and the best OTC remedies (thanks to our resident SAHM nurse practitioner)

Our next estrogen pow wow is tomorrow. I can hardly wait. I’m already thinking about my topic of discussion: the Tiger Woods interview at the Masters. Could it be any more of a good ole boys network? Or maybe I can get some tips how to completely remove cranberry juice stain from my carpet (since my steamvac is broken). Hmmmm….who knows what the discussion will be.

But let me suggest that tomorrow you too experience an uplifting energy surge. Drink coffee with your gal pals!

No comments:

Post a Comment