Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hot Stiletto Peep Toe Pumps Can Be Worn in a Pinch for Business Casual Attire, Right?


I had a casual job interview earlier this week for a part-time marketing admin position.  As I have stated before, I am a just-in-time gal (Read: Procrastinator). So even though I have been on a slow, steady plod back to the working world of paid employment  (Updating my resume, writing cover letters, dreaming about how delightful it will be to spend those dollars earned, longing for adult conversation/connection), I hadn’t yet given much thought as to my business wardrobe.  Or more precisely what to wear to an interview.
As I was getting dressed for the meeting, I faced a minor crisis.  What is appropriate business casual attire these days?  Do I even have any article of clothing that would be presentable?  My wardrobe after six years in a Domestic Goddess position has morphed into jeans & t-shirts, workout attire, and a few sexy outfits complete with hot stiletto peep toe pumps for Hubby’s benefit.  But business casual?  Oh, I had to dig deep back into the depths of the closet and I found a pair of black slacks. 
I thought wearing black was suppose to be very forgiving to flaws of the figure.  Apparently, that is not an universally true statement.  Especially when the black pants are the wrong size.  I’m not complaining too much because the pants were too big (Yay!), and the hem was too long.  I did not have any appropriate shoes to wear with the pants.   The only shoes that would clear the hem were my super cute, definitely not business appropriate, stiletto pumps. The length of the pants thankfully covered the slingback style and most of the 4” heel. Gah!




Long story short: I had a pleasant meeting but no job offer. Afterward, I was thinking once again in-depth about my life and passions.  I’m really starting to dislike the soul-searching, do-what-you-love, what-are-you-passionate about conversations that I’ve been having lately with lots of people, especially in light of my temporary ‘single parent’ status.  I am first and foremost passionate about my family, supporting my husband’s career while staying at home with my children.  And yet I am still apologetic about it because being very traditional seems so foolish, not welcomed nor truly valued today.  Truthfully, I have no idea yet what I am passionate about.  I like to do many things but I’m not necessarily passionate about it (i.e. make it happen no matter the challenges.)
At this point in time, I just want to find a part-time gig to get me out of the house so I can interact with people.  I want to resurrect some old skills or cultivate new skills, but do something a little bit more than  retail or making coffee.  I know I don’t want the hours associated with retail or with being an awesome kick-ass barista.  I’d like to explore marketing in any setting.  Oh and I also think it would be nice to earn enough to break even with the cost of daycare.  However, it’s looking more and more likely that volunteering (and writing) will provide my sanity check this year.  Unfortunately, volunteering does not support my retail therapy when I need it nor pay for daycare.
Bottom line:  Essentially I am paying money to volunteer in order to stay sane, all while wearing sexy but wildly inappropriate stiletto shoes around town!




No comments:

Post a Comment