Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Worrywart = Spoiled Wifey

My accessibility to medical websites has provided me with just enough information to put me into a perpetual tizzy from my continually changing self-diagnosis. What I originally diagnosed as having a virus manifesting as a sore throat (I tried to be calm about it. I really did.) quickly turned into a diagnosis of either thrush or the beginning stages of throat cancer (Confession: I used to smoke. Geez!).

Uh, yes, I am a bit dramatic.

Anyway, as of last night, I had worked myself up. After 2 months of shenanigans in my throat, I needed a professional opinion TODAY. Thankfully, I was able to convey to the appointment line how important it was that I be seen today. When I finally saw my doctor, I tried to explain in a calm and sane manner my concerns (and exclude my self-diagnosis) and give her any pertinent medical information from the last 4 months (since this woman does not know me and who knows what’s actually in my records, that is IF they have my medical records.)

She took one look. And then another. Not because she was surprised by the severity of my condition but because she almost missed it. *sigh* So apparently, I know my body and its changes a bit too well. She was very kind. I mean she did say she understands that since I’m pregnant I’m much more attuned to the changes in my body. Why, yes, doctor, that must be it.

I did feel slightly vindicated, however, since she did test me for thrush. Negative.

Her assessment? Benign lymphoid tissue growth as a result of my recent tonsillectomy. I must have looked skeptical. She did refer me to an ENT, primarily for reassurance. She actually wrote on the paperwork “Reassure patient.”

So that was my morning. Worrying for nothing (although I’m still not completely convinced. I still am experiencing discomfort in my throat!). But then I went on my merry way as today was my weekly grocery trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment